[thesite] voting for articles

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Thu Oct 4 12:01:19 CDT 2001

>Which is exactly the problem.  I don't think that MG uses any database
>other than its own flat-file or DBM-type database.  Tying MG to Oracle
>couples the applications together too closely for independent use.

well, yes, and therefore i wouldn't do it that way   ;o)

instead, i would still go with the one single user table in the database,
and require that it be updated via the site for *all* application uses

then copy user data out as frequently as practical, e.g. run an overnight
cron (if that's the way to do it) to extract all the subscriptions to the
various lists, and overwrite (that's another technical term) all the
individual subscription flat files that MG thinks it's maintaining...

> You end up with a highly-coupled and loosely cohesive system

i hear they make a cream for that