[thesite] voting for articles

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Thu Oct 4 12:23:30 CDT 2001

rudy wrote:

>>Which is exactly the problem.  I don't think that MG uses any database
>>other than its own flat-file or DBM-type database.  Tying MG to Oracle
>>couples the applications together too closely for independent use.
>>

> well, yes, and therefore i wouldn't do it that way   ;o)
>
> instead, i would still go with the one single user table in the database,
> and require that it be updated via the site for *all* application uses
>
> then copy user data out as frequently as practical, e.g. run an overnight
> cron (if that's the way to do it) to extract all the subscriptions to the
> various lists, and overwrite (that's another technical term) all the
> individual subscription flat files that MG thinks it's maintaining...

problem with that is that theres more information in MG's files than in
the www.evolt.org DB user tables. examples: is a user(djc for example)
on the digest mode or regular mode for thelist? if the digest mode,
plain text or multipart/mime? do they get copies of their own posts? do
they wan't their email address hidden when they send messages? are they
nomail?

many things you can see that are specific for the particular
application. theres also the many things specific to logging in to the
evolt website that MG could really care less about, if you know what i'm
saying :)

.djc.