[thesite] voting for articles

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Thu Oct 4 12:27:52 CDT 2001

Hi Folks,

I want to add a few comments to this thread.

First of all, this is part of the unified log in .. which I'm *really*
hoping we'll come up with a solution at CodeFest in a couple of weeks.

My thoughts, from a user's perspective, our log in and list subscriptions
*sucks* big time.  I've always thought this.  I was a member of thelist for
almost a year before I realized I wasn't a member on weo.  Anyway, we know
there's a problem.

I agree with Rudy that one centralized user table (in oracle) would be
beneficial for use on all web sites.  I also understand that the Major
(software that runs all lists, for those that don't know) needs its own
lists. However, why can't we have one central log in place where all the
information is processed at the same time?

In other words, all subscription requests get processed by the same form,
regardless of where the user logs in from (i.e. independent of which web
site the user subscribes from and which list they subscribe to).

Meaning the user page would contain the following:

UserID, PW, Subscribe to the various evolt lists (thelist, thesite, thechat
[plus admin ones for admin privs.].  This page would be the same regardless
of where one clicks to Join or Subscribe.  On this page, we'd need to: (1)
deal with the subscribe info to weo, i.e. insert info into the oracle user
table and (2) subscribe/unsubscribe to the various lists, i.e. send the
necessary commands to the Major to handle the requests.  The above assumes
that the same user table is used for all websites (i.e. weo, feo and aeo
(*almost*  this isn't synched at the moment, tho, I think it should/could be
by allowing an additional Priv level, i.e. 3.5 and above have access to
aeo)).

So, the question becomes .. can we effectively program ONE web page to
handle all of the list sub/unsub information, as well as log info required
for the sites?  Also, is it a good idea to automatically "Join" a user to
weo (effectively all web sites)?  Where/How could we handle the various list
options so that the user only sees one page with all their information, yet
we still need to send the appropriate commands to the Major?

Ok, enough from me... some things to think about.

Michele