[thesite] voting for articles

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Thu Oct 4 20:26:26 CDT 2001

Firstly, thanks to Richard for throwing in his POV. It's exactly what this
list thrives on; a fresh perspective is always useful.

 From Dan:
> i don't see having a username/password for *.evolt.org being different for
> the one to sign up for thelist as a huge issue..

I do, and I agree with Michele. For now, ignoring the technical
implementation, it would be far better to have a single login/preferences
page for everything evolt.org.

That is, something which handled sign-up to various lists, the settings for
each, site settings for *EO, etc.

I don't think that Michele and Richard are the only people who've found the
process frustrating, or have not even realised that their list membership !=
site membership.

That said, I don't really think that allowing anonymous comments is a great
idea.

I'm not so concrete on disallowing anonymous ratings though. I think we
potentially miss out on a lot of possible ratings. Many people who find a
single article via a search engine, or link from another list/site are
unlikely to have the inclination to sign-up just to rate an article. It'd be
cool to be able to cater for these people easily, and allowing anonymous
ratings might be the best way to accomplish this.

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au