[thesite] voting for articles

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Thu Oct 4 21:22:22 CDT 2001

> how are you going to stop multiple ratings from the same person?

How do we stop that now?

Hint: we don't.

(Note: I'm saying that allowing anonymous ratings could be a good idea and
would address particular issues. I'm well aware of the subsequent issues it
raises. I'm not, at this stage, putting my 'vote' in either box.)

Your assumption is that people will attempt multiple ratings (which is fair
enough).

My suggestion would be that we could discourage this in the name of fairness
and honesty. We could also understand that ratings, however nice and useful,
are not insanely critical. We would weigh up:

	more ratings, lower purity

vs

	few ratings, higher purity

Obviously, our current situation does *not* guarantee purity, nor do
anonymous ratings necessarily lead to a lowered purity (that is, more junk
ratings).

I would not expect much variation in purity level, but would definitely
appreciate the increase in ratings.

> if a person changes their mind, say, after learning the language being
> used in the article, how can they change their rating? just rate
> again? should they rate a 5 instead of a 4 because they rated it
> originally a 3 and the to balance it at a 4 they need to rate it a 5?

On-the-fly, one-time registration. Many forums handle this quite effectively
in this way. We could cater for someone who only wants to provide a rating
by asking for a name/email/rating. An email introducing the wider "services"
of evolt.org could then be mailed out, along with a random password. We
could optionally cookie them so they're logged in next time they return.

They could potentially enter a bullshit email address and then a junk
rating, but they can do that now. *shrug*

isaac