[thesite] CodeFest: Proposed Task List

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Mon Oct 8 19:53:21 CDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "isaac" <isaac at members.evolt.org>

| > Ok, this is the first I've heard of this... and to be honest, I disagree
|
| I emailed recently to say that the new articles that were lined up had
| fallen through.

Yes, I saw that .. I didn't realize this category was dependent on those
articles.  We discussed a couple of weeks back, I think it was Martin that
provided it, a list of articles to be moved.. and asking that you add to
that list.

Are you going to create the intro article for this category? Not a big deal,
as I'll be writing up the category definitions that are to appear at the top
of each category page.  But, if you had text prepared, that would save me
doing that one.

| > with you on this one.  Why delay it, we already have a bunch of
| > articles for
| > it.  There have been a few very good articles of late, that
| > really belong in
| > this new catetgory.  This is your idea Isaac, it's already received
| > consensus from thesite and Admin.  If you want to pull the proposed new
| > category off the table, I really think you should get consensus again.
| > don't think it's fair for you to unilaterally decide that now you
| > don't want
| > it.  So, if it needs to be brought up again, let's do it.
|
| OK, go with the articles you'd like to put in.

These are not articles *I* want put in .. specifically.  I'm just trying to
help move this "idea" of yours along and get it live.  I'm not going through
and picking the articles to be moved.

I'd just assumed that we were
| waiting on a list of old articles *and* specific new ones that I'd
proposed.

| I remember that you were hesitant to get the new cat running without those
| fresh articles, but if we have other new ones, that's cool. I have no
| problem with that.

Right .. and we talked about it on Admin, and consensus was that it was good
to start the category with the proposed new articles.  What we need at
codefest is that specific list, so that once the category is Live on w.e.o.,
someone can immediately go through the supplied list, and change the
existing article categories.

I realize that with the time zone differences, its difficult coordinating
efforts here.  Dan (and/or Rudy) have to be around at the same as you are to
flip the switch on the category then you can move articles.  I just figured
it would be easier to do it at CF.

| > long fields (or whatever its called in oracle).   Plus, don't forget
that
| > each attribute (not yet defined) isn't a required field.  The user gets
| > pick which attributes they would like to appear on their members' page.
|
| Yes, most of them are optional. That's been the plan from the very
| beginning. See other thread I've started for more info on working this
out.

Yeah, optional is a good thing.  I just don't know what the limitations DB
limits are set at.  And, I'm not sure we'd want to have long fields as
attributes.  However, Rudy can comment on this and provide more insight and
possible working methodology for this.

I saw your other message, my understanding is that only the top part of that
info would actually work/fit into the existing structure.

Michele