Fwd: RE: [thesite] thecode FAQ - everyone read

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Thu Oct 11 05:56:39 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

> Very basic workflow (but sufficient for what we need,
> although I wouldn't mind having capabilities to do
> commissioning and collaborative working).

When a member submits a new article, it doesn't hit
the public site straight away. Before it gets posted, Admin
members check it over for suitability (ie we don't post
porn or spam), and make any tidying edits of grammar
and spelling problems.

Another site running the evolt code might use this to
more substantially edit a submission into their house
style.

Once the edits have been made, any admin member can
approve the article for launch and it goes live.

Member comments on articles don't go through an approval
step, but can be retrospectively edited if required.

> Workflow participant notification.

When a new article is submitted, the CMS sends out an
email summarising the new article to admins.

> Browser-based content entry and admin.

You don't need any special software to operate the CMS -
all tasks can be accomplished from any internet browser
with access to the site.

> Role based access.

We have defined a hierarchy of roles within the site, and permissions
based on those roles. Each role can perform the tasks of lower
roles in the hierarchy

Those roles and permissions are:
* Anonymous user: Can view site content
* Registered, logged in user: Can submit content - articles and
   comments. Can edit own content (subject to reapproval by admin)
* Admin: Can approve, edit and expire articles. Can (will be able to?)
  add, edit and delete categories. Can view member info even if
  generally hidden.
* Godmin: Can remove comments. Other stuff - someone want to fill
  this in?

[nb I've left off article ratings as it's not really a CMS thing -
feel free to readd]

> Ability to link to other assets in the content repository
> independent of its full URL (allows for cat changes for
> one thing).

All articles are of course uniquely identified by their URL. But
part of the URL is where it sits in the site's structure (which category
it's in). What happens if an article moves category? We've enabled
a couple of schemes to allow linking to an article without depending
on its category:
1) Keyphrase - a uniquely identifying shortened URL, which is human-
   specifiable. Example: http://evolt.org/testing/ rather than
   http://evolt.org/article/The_Tao_of_Testing/20/4142/index.html
2) The other one Jeff put in to handle moving stuff when Web Business
    takes effect using CF variables that I can't remember any more detail
    of.

Also:

* Content Syndication

You want to have the headlines from evolt on your site? Fine, no problem.
We've got a standards-compliant XML feed available which you can
pull into your own pages. When our site updates, so will yours,
automatically.

* Platform independence

Good content management separates the content from the presentation of
that content. We've accomplished this by storing an article's content
separately
from the template it's presented within. This lets us apply different
templates
for different platforms - our proof of concept was a PDA version of the
site -
and a provide printer-friendly format without maintaining multiple sets of
pages.

How's that?

Cheers
Martin

> Very basic workflow (but sufficient for what we need,
> although I wouldn't mind having capabilities to do
> commissioning and collaborative working).
>
> Workflow participant notification.
>
> Browser-based content entry and editing.
>
> Role based access.
>
> Ability to link to other assets in the content repository
> independent of its full URL (allows for cat changes for
> one thing).

exactly what i needed. now, can i have 1-2 sentences of each in CMS-newbie
speak?

that way we cover people from both camps.

thanks,

isaac

(08)83320545 | www.triplezero.com.au | isaac at triplezero.com.au