[thesite] My Intro and a look at a UEUE Proposal

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Mon Oct 15 10:52:58 CDT 2001

On Oct 14, Mark Nickel had something to say about [thesite] My Intro and a...

>If you were watching the CodeFestCam, I was the tall guy hunched over
>and watching Dan do *stuff*... :)

You guys don't know this, but we took a few pictures of us in different
locations, then cycled them through on our "web cam" so that it looked
like we were working. In actuality, well... the strippers left at around
5.

>(/me don's flame-retardant suit)
>Please see my m.e.o site:  http://members.evolt.org/mnickel and take a
>gander at the UEUE stuff.

Ok. When you were explaning this all to me, I had some questions but I
figured I'd just wait until I saw the doc. I still got 'em  =)

There were two problems that we faced when we were trying to solve this
*.evolt.org multiple login stuff:

1. How to login at a central place and be recognized at all *.evolt.org
sites, not just the ones which can read cf session variables
2. How to keep synchronized the member tables or have one centralized
member table (IOW, you sign up for garden.evolt.org and you've really
signed up for *.evolt.org and you don't need to sign up again to visit
skr1ptk1dd135.evolt.org)

your solution solves #1 (which is great), but 2 is a pretty big
problem. let's say Joe User signs up on test.evolt.org. then, 2 minutes
later, he clicks on the "Food" link and shows up on food.evolt.org. Well,
food.evolt.org automatically recognizes him from his cookies, but he's not
actually signed up for food.evolt.org and he doesn't exist in the
database. So, he submits a recipe on food.evolt.org. Something's going to
break. There is a userid foreign key field in the content (article) table
that must relate back to the userid field in the user table. But, it won't
because there is no matching user record.

now, i came up with all kinds of whack ideas when trying to solve this
stuff for food.evolt.org (like having weo spit out some xml full of all
new member details, etc.) but i settled on a half-solution. If Joe User
doesn't exist in the food.evolt.org database, i search weo's, and if i
find him, copy all of him over, including his userid (IOW, it's not
generated off of a sequence). i'll be the first to admit that this idea
sucks... but i wanted to wait until we had settled on some solution before
implementing anything fullblown. And I chose *this* half-solution because
there wasn't a X second delay where he could sign up for another site, and
not be able to login into food.evolt.org because some process hadn't yet
run.

So, basically, we're stuck with either:

1. doing some import process (hopefully some kind of propogation from
ueue.evolt.org to the other child members)
2. getting rid of the database reference from content to user tables

Anyone have thoughts on this?

thanks,

--
mattwarden