[thesite] My Intro and a look at a UEUE Proposal

Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com Rory.Plaire at wahchang.com
Mon Oct 15 23:07:01 CDT 2001

| well, but what i'm saying is that Joe User should be able to
| sign up in a
| single location and then access member-only features in all
| *.evolt.org
| sites. Why should Joe sign up for weo, then sign up with the
| exact same
| info for feo? Or why even go the extra step to say Joe wantes to be a
| member of both sites. Let's just let him.
|
| Taking your example kind of, it's kind of like asking someone
| to register
| fro a drivers license in every single state that person wants
| to drive in,
| rather than allowing a single drivers license to be valid for all
| states. The info for the drivers licenses will be
| (relatively) the same,
| so just use that.

Really? I thought I could just drive from one state to another with my
Oregon D/L. My point previously was that it would be nice to jump in the car
and go _anywhere_ in the world with that authentication token. These are
just real world examples of how people, in my experience, see themselves in
communities.

However, you raise an interesting point, which was the thrust of my
examination. That is, if the community is diverse enough, would it make
sense to share my information, since it would be non-sensical? If I tried,
now, for instance, to test out of a course on cooking because of my
credentials testifying to my knowledge of tables, cookies, forks, batches,
java, beans, etc., although they are the same terms yet apply to another
universe of discourse, it would not be valid. This point is more to draw the
goal of UEUE in a context so that we might say, "Well, if evolt was going to
become bigger than Yahoo, yeah, that would apply, but not here, dude!" Then
we can be clear that signing up in one place makes sense to apply everywhere
and we could base a solution on sound principles and analysis. I can then be
convinced that, yes, "one sign up, access everywhere" is A Good Thing.

New people always try patience as they get up to speed, don't they?

<rory disposition="amicably" alt="8)"/>