Member Pages .... Re: [thesite] user selecteble stylesheets..

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Tue Oct 16 23:19:34 CDT 2001

> >And the kiddie version: quite enough done
> actually "which was the thing to be proved"

Quite Enough Done. Q.E.D. Oh well, don't worry. Just a stupid joke that a
kid in my maths 2 class in high school used to always go on about.

> try this: a member is a person whom we know, a user is just a userid or
> email id and could be anybody

Not true. The user table has fields for firstname and lastname.
Additionally, it's tied to a member, so we'll know exactly who it is. But I
do understand the distinction in this case. A member could have a
work.userid and a home.userid.

I was talking about it in the context of the two priv settings. i.e., guest,
user, member, admin, god. Anyway, don't worry.

> can't disagree with that, but dude, how you gonna group them?  who gets to
> say?  what if my groups are different than yours?  do we want standard
> predefined groups?

I would prefer standard predefined groups, and attributes. Easier to layout,
more consistent to view, and easier to search on (certainly easier to be
implemented). If members wanted to add to that, they could propose
groups/attributes for others to choose from.

If we want members to have a free run with the info they present, why not
give them a huge field to throw their own stuff into?

Look at NEO - it's nicely split into sections. I don't want member pages to
be some ugly list of uncategorised attributes (which is where I think we're
potentially headed).

> heck, the more germane question is, what's easier for the coders?

Don't get me wrong; I understand that the requirements of the community must
take into account the available skills and time. Hell, we're coding this
without even asking the community. When I asked, I got all of maybe 2 or 3
that, has it even been questioned that this feature is worth implementation?

But since you asked, what'd be easier for coders would be a single textarea
which accepts an article-like range of code allowing members to layout their
own profile, and include categorised attributes. It'd also be most flexible
for users.

isaac