Member Pages .... Re: [thesite] user selecteble stylesheets..

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Wed Oct 17 21:38:20 CDT 2001

On Oct 17, Mark Nickel had something to say about Re: Member Pages .... Re:...

>> member mnickel has user ids mnickelhome and mnickelwork. he signs on
>> to weo via a ueue_id and submits an article. we have nfi whether he's
>> submitting as mnickelhome or mnickelwork.
>
>??  Ok, I'll admit lack of experience here, but wouldn't I authenticate using
>mnickelhome or mnickelwork not mnickel?

exactly!

mnickelhome is your username, which is stored in the user table.

that's the authentication side.

now the application side. everything relates to the user table. we need to
know the userid. the userid needs to be in the ueue id.

>In any case, I am assuming that I would sign on as mnickelhome.  ueue.evolt.org
>would set my user_name = mnickelhome and ueue_id are put into the cookie jar.
>(right now there is no ueue_id so this is theoretical)

i was assuming it would be an encrypted version of userid... in your doc
you talk about not needing to query the database and just running off the
cookie. well, freddy, we need the userid in the cookie then  =)

>So when I'm redirected back to w.e.o. ColdFusion sets session variables are set by
>querying the User table using my user_name cookie.

So... we need synched member tables again, eh?

>The session values that
>ColdFusion sets are exactly the same as they are today...  All we would be doing is
>altering some of the ColdFusion logic.  My user_name should be enough to correctly
>Identify me to w.e.o...

... then why not userid rather than username?

>Ok, in reality this probably should be USERID instead of user_name (which would be
>the WHO field??), but in this example, mnickelhome, should be stored in the USERS
>table.

i really should read the entire email before replying...

who is the username, i believe. there is a specific foreign key called
"userid".

>> i think, just like the cookie field, this things gotta be user-specific,
>> not member specific.
>
>agreed.  But some sites might not want to have such a system...  They may want one
>user = one member so the ueue_id would be enough to identify the user in the
>subsite's user tables...

hmmm... i guess i wasn't looking at the possibility of needing that much
flexibility.

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com