[thesite] My Intro and a look at a UEUE Proposal

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Thu Oct 18 10:05:27 CDT 2001

you guys do realize that you can't use the cookie without validating
them against the hash right? there are two fields for every value in the
cookie:
USER_NAME = djc
USER_NAME_HASH = MD5(USER_NAME.ueue-server-secret-key)

where USER_NAME_HASH would end up with something like
12039123n12klj3hsd8ui123jh12

when m.e.o gets that info, it doesn't automatically assume I'm djc(and
the privledges that go with my userid), it runs the plain text value
through the hash as well.

if they don't match, m.e.o knows its not me and wipes the cookie or
sends me back to ueue.evolt.org to revalidate.

so little Joey Cracker that has a m.e.o account could set a cookie
claiming he was djc and had a priv level of 4 and send himself to the
main site to delete all of isaac's articles. fuck, he could even create
a cookie with values like

USER_NAME = djc
USER_NAME_HASH = MD5(USER_NAME.JOEY-secret-key)

so it looks *just like ours*. the problem is, he hashed it with a
different secret key so when he goes to w.e.o it won't validate. better
luck next time, insert coin, game over.

no need for new domains, moving shit, or paranoia... this is all spelled
out pretty clearly in marks write up at
http://members.evolt.org/mnickel/ueue.html :)

.djc.