[thesite] voting application

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Wed Oct 31 00:51:23 CST 2001

.jeff wrote:

> 1) survey and/or voting applications are common in
>    content management systems yet missing from ours.

? CMS doesn't scream voting application to me.

> 2) we've talked many times about running useful or
>    even goofy surveys on w.e.o., but never had any
>    mechanisms in place to do it.

voting applicatoin for 'goofy' things isn't what we're talkign about here

> 3) the application is placed where the largest portion
>    of our audience already is.  ie, it's where the
>    users will expect it to be.

the 'users' or the 'members' that would be voting on things

> 4) we can take advantage of things already in place
>    like login and priv levels.

already in place on a.e.o

> 5) we can put votes out to the general population
>    with ease.

the general pop. will have voting rights on these issues?

> 6) we can run votes/surveys that either require or
>    don't require being logged in.

uh. some people are talking about "VM".(voting members) i'd assume we
dont want non-"VM" people voting on "VM" issues.

> give me half a chance, i'll think of more reasons to put it on w.e.o.

w.e.o is a CMS, not a system for "VM"(voting members for those of you
still keeping track) to tally votes.

how are you going to figure "VM" into the userpriv? its already done in
a.e.o, which walker has *done* and spent a good amount of time on.

w.e.o is bloated enough IMO for a CMS. to clarify, a CMS that runs on
oracle and uses a URL scheme that isn't easily implemented and only ~3
people understand.

there are more important things to implement within our CMS right now
than a voting app. like all the things talked about last week but
haven't yet been done.

.djc.