[thesite] voting application

isaac isaac at members.evolt.org
Wed Oct 31 01:02:24 CST 2001

Dan,

We're talking about a voting application which has the flexibility to handle
voting for various privilege levels, and on various issues. i.e., a voting
application that can handle open polls on casual issues, as well as those
for voting members, etc.

> the general pop. will have voting rights on these issues?

On some polls, yes.

> > 6) we can run votes/surveys that either require or
> >    don't require being logged in.
> uh. some people are talking about "VM".(voting members) i'd assume we
> dont want non-"VM" people voting on "VM" issues.

They won't vote on those.

> w.e.o is a CMS, not a system for "VM"(voting members for those of you
> still keeping track) to tally votes.

There is a CMS on WEO. The voting application can sit within the CMS on WEO,
or outside of the CMS on WEO. Regardless, I think it should sit on WEO. As
does Matt and Jeff so far.

Whether it's integrated within the CMS itself is up for further debate
obviously. (On that issue, I don't mind either way).

> how are you going to figure "VM" into the userpriv? its already done in
> a.e.o, which walker has *done* and spent a good amount of time on.

Using priv=2 or priv=3. Matt suggested priv2 = voting member, and priv3
would be voting member who also has editing/email rights. That sounds
sensible to me.

> w.e.o is bloated enough IMO for a CMS. to clarify, a CMS that runs on
> oracle and uses a URL scheme that isn't easily implemented and only ~3
> people understand.

I remember the days when you were so proud of your sexy URLs... ;)

> there are more important things to implement within our CMS right now
> than a voting app. like all the things talked about last week but
> haven't yet been done.

I disagree. I can think of few things less important than the voting
application right now.

isaac