[thesite] Priv Levels, Voting App. and UEUE

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Wed Oct 31 18:29:03 CST 2001

Hi folks,

Starting a new thread here .. cos I dunno which one to reply to
specifically.  hehe

Meant to write this yesterday actually, but ran out of time.

A few things I want to bring up.

The more I think about it, the less I understand how the Voting App would be
best served on weo.  Now, hear me out please before ya yell at me.  ;)

The problem as I see it is equating the User's PrivID with their voting
privileges.  There's not enough flexibility.   (now, I just read Rudy's
email .. but I'll go a bit further in detail.)

When theprocess ran through their first set of votes, a few suggestions were
made immediately, to change the voting application.  One of those
suggestions was that the votes be anonymous, i.e. don't list who has already
voted.  Doing this meant that even those not "allowed" to vote, could still
vote, as no one would be the wiser that someone had voted who wasn't
supposed to.  (Not at all saying this happened tho, so please don't yell at
me for saying it could happen.)

However, what IS missing still, is the ability to say explicitly who gets to
vote on what question.  As I see it, and some of these items are still in
the works, being discussed and may, in fact, never become a "reality",
therefore, not necessary, there are the following "groups" of people to poll
for various reasons:

Admin only
BOD only
Admin and BOD only
theProcess list members only
theForum list members only
theSite list members only (ok, not come up yet ;)
Voting Members (which may or may not = theForum members)
General Membership (currently defined at Priv = 1 in weo)
Members (currently, sort of, maybe defined at Priv = 2 in weo, i.e. those
with Member Pages)

So, there are many different types of votes we may want to have.  I don't
see how w.e.o.'s current priv level is going to work for the voting
application.  (I guess we could use 2.2 as a the forum list member).  I
think we need to think about this a bit more and decide how best to give
rights to those that are "allowed" to vote, and to keep out those that
aren't.  And, I'm not saying people will miliciasiously (sp??) vote on
things they aren't supposed too, but rather by mistake and then the numbers
aren't an accurate reflection.

Now, the other issue... and for the life of me I can't remember if this was
discussed at CF or not.  Has it been taken into consideration or thought
about, that users have different *.e.o. UserPriv levels?  Or they could have
in the future?

For example, and this is just me assigning Priv Levels in a adhoc manner.
These aren't for real (at this time).

d.e.o.
Simon should have God privs on this app .. he wrote it and he maintains it
One day, others may volunteer to help ease the load and to administer
certain groups (DMOZ style), and these individuals would have Admin privs.

f.e.o.
Matt should have (and does?) God privs on this app.
Not sure who is going to help Admin the application, i.e. review/approve
articles.  If it will in fact be the same members that review/approve
articles on w.e.o. or not.  I don't see that it has to be the same.

a.e.o.
Gets even more complicated .. as there's an extra Priv level in there that
doesn't exist on w.e.o.  The Priv levels for a.e.o. are User, God,
Developer.  The User's on a.e.o. are (at this time) hand-selected and do
include all of Admin plus several theSite members who participate in various
projects for evolt.  I have "God" Privs on a.e.o. but no where else.
Actually, there is a fourth Priv Level implied on a.e.o. that being "Admin"
which allows Admins to answer emails (however, I'm not sure there is a coded
restriction in place there.)

Anyway .. just a few things I wanted to bring up.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions.. welcome as always.

Michele