[thesite] Content Upgrades

Joshua Olson joshua at alphashop.com
Fri Sep 21 17:08:42 CDT 2001

Hey all,

: it'd be a nice to have, but something that should probably be implemented
: along with other bigger changes.  it'd be easier to do if we did things
: like change the architecture to support multi-page articles, multiple
: authors, etc.  in other words, i think it'd be more appropriate to do
: during a restructuring of the database and site architecture.

This is not the first I've heard about these changes, but I do not remember
seeing them on the LOTTD.  What else falls into the etc of that sentence?

Multi-page articles: fairly straight-forward.  But, there are some things to
consider.  1) each page needs a title, as well as the overall article.  With
each page having a title you can have an index page at the front of the
article.  Additionally, you may want to include synopses of each page AND
the entire article.  How much of this has already been discussed?

Multi-authorship: again, fairly straightforward... multiple people can
collaborate on an article until it's marked as completed by the team leader.
But, there are issues to consider here.  Do you lock the article so only one
person can edit it?  What about multi-page articles?  Does the team leader
assign pages to people, or is it a free grab of pages?  How about locking?

I'm sure that all these issues have been discussed right under my nose.  Can
someone please recap those conversations too?

TIA,
-joshua