[thesite] add: LOTTD

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 24 14:12:57 CDT 2001

> From: "rudy" <r937 at interlog.com>
>
> > instead, can someone take a look at why
> > the validation results are different now?
>
> perhaps it is the latest w3c validator update --
>
>    "W3C HTML Validation Service Upgraded
>    18 September 2001: W3C is pleased to announce an
>    upgrade to the W3C HTML Validation Service ....
>    New features include XHTML 1.1 and XHTML Basic 1.0
>    support, experimental MathML 2.0 support, new functions
>    on the results page, and an option to override character encoding."
>         http://www.w3.org/News/2001#item162
>
> i'm not sure i can help analyze further

well, it says 'override character encoding'... do they mean ISO
entities or character set?

> (i thought that using &#149 is a no-no but aardie thinks it's okay,
> and has told me so at least twice...  and i'm still trying to figure
> out why it's fine...)

the context was &#149; vs. &middot;... the first (&149;) has much
wider support among older browsers, while the latter saw support
develop at different rates for different characters in different
browsers... the numeric value (vs. the named value) will always
provide broader support (at least as long as there are older
browsers, and some alternative ones as well)...

> you will also notice that the evolt site does *not* contain

>           content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
>
> which, perhaps, it now should?

wow, it should have *always* contained that... it was in the original
template i provided...

musta fallen out along the way...

however, based on how this topic started (by validating the
development template, not the real site, which has the ISO charset
info), i'd bet that's not it...