[thesite] RFC: Article: "ReAttacking the Spam Issue In Sendmail"...

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed Sep 26 10:47:32 CDT 2001

 >> Synopsis:
 >>
 >>   With the recent demise of ORBS, and the sudden insane charging
 >>   of MAPS, ISPs everywhere are limping along with their spam
 >>   filters, either using ORB-replacements that cause customer
 >>   complaints, or inadequate manual filtering based on spam
 >>   already received. This article will walk you through how
 >>   I reconfigured sendmail to satisfy spam filtering for a
 >>   small ISP of about 1500 addresses.
 >>
 >I say yes, though in the synopsis I'd define ORBS and MAPS....

Clarification:

  ORBS is the Open Relay Blackhole List. Long story short,
  misconfigured mail servers can allow any user to send out
  mail through them. Spammers often hunt for these servers
  - they allow unrestricted access to send spam messages.
  These are called "open relays" because they allow anyone
  to openly relay mail. The most famous one, called ORBS,
  was recently shut down for legal reason.

  MAPS, is the Mail Abuse Prevention System (or something
  similar - too lazy to check right now). It offered various
  services that would block known open relays, known dialup
  ports that have been used for spam and so on. Recently,
  they've turned to a insanely-overpriced pay system.

  A good portion of ISPs "subscribed" to the above lists -
  any email that was sent to the ISPs servers were checked
  against the entries in MAPS or ORBS. If they were in either
  list, the email was from a known spammer or misconfigured
  host, and was thus denied. These lists caught an awful lot
  of spam before ever hitting the customer.

  With the death of them, spam is flowing freely again.

Better?

--
Morbus Iff ( i am your scary godmother )
http://www.disobey.com/ && http://www.gamegrene.com/