[thesite] Status of everything I can think of at the moment ... ;)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 28 12:16:12 CDT 2002

> From: "Joshua Olson" <joshua at alphashop.net>
[...]
> Correct me if I'm wrong [:)], but aren't the principal goals of using
> a text area:
>
> 1. Scrollbars on most platforms instead of layout blowout.
> 2. Ability to "Select all" automatically when the area receives focus.
>
> Have these properties become unimportant or no longer factors?

no, those properties are why the textarea is convenient... the first point the
most important, IMO, the second being a nice benefit...

however, with overflow properties in CSS, and the ability for the <pre> to
contain the right number of text lines to hold the code (as opposed to an
arbitrary number set on the <pre>), not only the advantage of using a
structurally/semantically correct tag, the styled <pre> is a preferred
approach...

while displaying scrollbars might not be a drop-dead requirement (causing the
layout to blow up in browsers like NN4.x, for example, or even N6 or O6),
allowing the code block to be seen *is*...

as such, it's not ready for prime time, but it is ready for testing...