[thesite] FW: [thalist] Darling

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 29 09:05:00 CDT 2002

> From: "John Handelaar" <john at userfrenzy.com>
> >
> > i'm still in favor of holding all posts with attachments, as well as
> > all non-plain- text posts...
>
> Yeah, but the reason we've got what we have now is that
> holding all attachments also holds attachments of MIME type
> text/plain.  IIRC that was a bleedin nightmare because
> of the volume of legit posts getting stopped.

ok, now you got me confused...

what legit post has an attachment of *any* kind?

> The newer MG mods try to extract plain text from 'rich
> text' mails and let them through.

i know, but i've never felt that was worth it... it simply allows people
to continue to use HTML mail in their regular lives, and since i can't
fly all over the world resetting their mail clients, i was kinda hoping
our rabid stance might convert 'em on the cheap...

> Clearly at the moment we've got something annoying, but
> not remotely dangerous.  Mich, Matt, myself and I guess
> whoever else is covering (not getting into that one here)
> are adding match phrases as fast as possible (I caught the
> ones matching '* great a flash *' the other day, for
> example) but as Mich says the virus is too random to catch
> in that way.

here's a question:

Which requires more management, approving "legit posts with text
attachments" or adding exceptions to the filters?

i would suggest that the one requiring more management is
probably not the best solution...

things that can (and should) outweigh that include the amount of
work needed to clean bad posts off the archives, and the aggregate
time wasted by subscribers downloading, reading, and deleting bad
posts...