[thesite] What do you want to do ?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 30 13:39:00 CDT 2002

oops, dinna know anyone else would respond on beo...

> From: "Daniel J. Cody" <djc at members.evolt.org>
[...]
> i've been doing the mozilla and netscape uploads, but i think theres a
> lot of stuff you could also help out on!
>
> a good example is the inconsistancy of the directory structure right
> now.. in the navigator folder for example, the structure is os based
> like win32/6.1/browser.exe or linuxx86/4.78/browser.tar.gz while
> mozilla has a strucutre thats just the opposite like
> 0.9.8/linux/browser.tar.gz or 0.9.8/macosx/browser.dmg
>
> i've been thinking for a long time that stuff should be organized a
> bit better.. would you be interested in something like that?

that's a good point...  when i originally archived it all, there were
some inconsistencies that got carried over, but it was a CD-ROM
archive, so i always surfed in a tree view...

if you do want to hack at the directory stuff, william, there's also
another unfortunate directory structure problem that was introduced
when dan moved the files over from the CD... the dots were
stripped out of the version numbers, so some browsers have
strange looking versions...

for instance, Sprynet Mosaic 4.10 is listed as 410:
http://browsers.evolt.org/index.cfm/dir/mosiac-spry/

whenever i'm in there to upload stuff, i try to fix what i find, but i
usually don't have the time to start manually trogging through every
file to fix it all... it's insanely confusing to some users, and looks
pretty daft, too, so i'd love to see that kludge go away...

other stuff might involve me forwarding over the occasional
announcement i get so you can find and upload it all...

let me know what you'd like to do, or if you have other ideas, and i'll
coordinate necessary access with dan...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself