icons for the tip harvester (was Re: [thesite] Re: [***forum] page

David McCreath mccreath at ak.net
Wed Jan 16 12:07:10 CST 2002

[ I'm sending this again, because the copy that came back to me had the
correct subject line, but the text of a message from Javier. Is it just
my client or does anyone else see that? ]

Just to make sure everyone sees it:

I flubbed the code on my mock up, and in my explanation to aardvark.

<h3> *is* the correct designation for the month, because the <h2> was
supposed to be the year. I just forgot to put it in, then forgot my
reasoning when I was explaining it in my response to to aard.

rudy wrote:
 >aardvark wrote:

>>also, can we skip <h2> and go right to <h3> from an <h1>?
>
> can we?  absolutely

Well of course. People do it all the time.

> should we?  that's arguable

Not if we're going to set a good example. We need to maintain the
document's hierarchy.

> the pros/cons of the argument might make for a good article, eh?

Using evolt.org as a good example of why it's a Good Thing (TM). :)

> i have yet to find a definitive resource on the web that explains to me
> clearly why skipping a level is "bad"

If you find yourself wanting to skip from <h1> to <h3>, then you need

to examine your writing. There's probably an <h2> that should be put

between the two, even if it's just one sentence, or in the case of what

I'm doing on the mock up, just the header itself.

Alternatively, your orphaned <h3> section could be moved up in the

hierarchy.

Of course, that's a very strict interpretation, both in terms of writing

and layout, but since HTML was intended to mark up written documentation,

I stand by that interpretation. YOMV (your opinion may vary).

David