[thesite] A new version of the evolt.org Directory

Simon Coggins ppxsjc1 at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jan 23 06:08:12 CST 2002

> > In my mind, those numbers are significant.  I think it might be a
> > worthwhile exercise to come up with plans of action to make deo more
> > usable/useful to the members.
>
> I think you're right, but is this a question of "more useful" or "more
> findable"? Not that they're mutually exclusive.

If the directory can be made more useful I think it will get linked to
more on thelist in response to certain questions, and therefore will
become more findable to some extent.

As for making it more useful, I really think the critical thing is for
each category to contain plenty of links with good descriptions explaining
what the link is about. To back that up here's a quote from someone
on theforum:

"I don't know about other people, but I don't use the
directory because the links are not useful for me. For
example, I went there to try and find links for PHP
resources. There's 10 links, and of them, I already knew of
half, and the other half weren't useful."

That, in my mind is the problem. I think the solution is to have editors
for each category, which is why I'm hoping to move the code in that
direction. Imagine if we had an evolt member who was really into PHP
running that category. It wouldn't take a great deal of time for them to
come up with a kick-ass list of links on the subject (they probably have
loads bookmarked anyway).

Simon