[thelist] Whatever happened to High Five?

Steven Champeon schampeo at hesketh.com
Fri Jun 30 01:08:01 CDT 2000

on Thu, Jun 29, 2000 at 10:55:28PM -0500, Daniel J. Cody wrote:
> Whats the big deal in moving a site/list/whatever? Not to toot our own
> horn, but the evolt lists(along with 1000+ members in all) moved to a
> new server(on a different network to boot) within 3 hours, with almost
> zero interuption(except me blabbering on about the move ;) during the
> process. Actually, I'd bet that 95% of people didnt even notice the
> move.

While I agree with the general tone of your rant (what's so hard about
changing your DNS expiration - from a week to 2 hours - a week in advance
of a move, anyway? ;) I'm pretty sure that there were a few extenuating
circumstances here (and possibly in other cases):

 - they didn't move from one server to another, they moved the /server/
 - they didn't move the list from one box to another, they switched from
   majordomo to GNU Mailman
 - Babble wasn't a terribly high priority compared to the task of getting
   all of the other sites and lists up and running

But, yeah. I wish more people had their act together WRT server moves.
We have to deal with quite a few ISPs whose general attitude towards any
extraordinary event seems to be "ick. that sounds complicated." Feh.

Steve

--
http://a.jaundicedeye.com/weblog/
because it just annoys people when I talk to myself...