[thelist] FW: CROSS-POST: WHEN HTML SOFTWARE COLLIDES: Which is right?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 4 10:59:48 CDT 2000

message held because thelist was a CC...

---------------

From: "Villano, Paul" <VillanoP at usachcs-emh1.army.mil>
Subject: CROSS-POST:  WHEN HTML SOFTWARE COLLIDES:   Which is
right?
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:05:44 -0400

Sorry for the cross-post but this is a subject I think we all need to
struggle with while trying to speak our varying dialects of HTML here on the
Tower of Babel...

I've been trying out lots of HTML programs lately and have discovered that
they conflict with each other.  For example, the banner tag.  I've never
used it, myself.  But it is in every one of the 74 HTML files I've got to
update.  MS Word conversions to HTML leave it in.  Homesite and First Page
seem to have no problem with it, but Dreamweaver 2.0 chokes on it and shows
it as an error.

This brings up the problem with editors...They are each the product of
coders who will code their own way.  So, when there's a conflict, how do you
know which is the one to go with?  If Homesite 4.0's codesweeper cleans up
code one way, and 1st Page another and HTML Kit another and Dreamweaver
another....

SCREAMS OF HORROR...

You may have an error that one passes as good code and another picks up on
as wrong.  So, other than running it through 20 programs, how do you know
which is safest to trust?

Paul  -- "For God and Country!"
"Resolved:  To live with all my might while I do live, and as I will wish I
had lived ten thousand years from now." Jonathan Edwards