[thelist] HELP: "Form" for clients...

kev.skindrill kev.skindrill at bigfoot.com
Thu Jul 6 15:43:22 CDT 2000

>    I am moving fulltime to web dev/design and I want to create a form (a
> paper one) that customers can fill with what they want in their site so we
> can both agree on it. I dont know what this form is called, but I am
looking
> for help on designing mine.
>
>    As you can tell, I am going for small sites. I made one site for a
> friend, then a friend of my friend waw it and liked it, so he wanted me to
> design his.. and a friend of his saw it and so on... so now I am in the
need
> of making the process more formal.

It has always seemed logical to me (Spock head firmly in place) that people
don't generally have a clue what they want. Although I haven't had much of a
chance to put this to the test I like to think the best way to do this is to
ask people for a list of URLs that they like, ask them what things in
particular they like about the site, and see if you can incorporate
something similar in their design. After all, Joe Public will surf a site &
maybe notice that when their mouse travels over a link, the link changes
colour. They probably have no idea that this is an onMouseOver event & can
be written in JavaScript. So my advice is to compile a form that gives the
client space to write 5 or so URLs and a brief description of what it is
that they like about them.
Hope that helps

kev.skindrill at bigfoot.com
www.skindrill.freeserve.co.uk