[thelist] some SQL cause I like to share

rudy limeback r937 at interlog.com
Thu Jul 6 20:40:42 CDT 2000

>    update table1 set val1 = b.val1
>       from table1_backup b
>           where b.ID = table1.ID
>
>    Actually, I've really only done it in Sybase, but I found it
> on MSDN, so I assume you can do it with most databases
> (since both Sybase AND microsoft seem to support the same syntax).

heya matt

wot's cookin?

sybase and sql/server do share a lot of the same syntax because they
started from the same product -- sybase

microsoft bought the rights a few years back (and have, since then,
according to what i heard, done at least two complete code rewrites)

both still have a superset of sql called transact-sql (as far as i can
recall, it's been about 4 years since i saw sybase)

you ever worked with something called sybase iq?  it's a bit-mapped fully
inverted index database built on top of the sybase engine, by the same
vendor

if not, stay well away from it if you can -- the company i work for
scrapped it because of performance problems, not that it couldn't have been
tuned, but there wasn't anybody trained in it we could get at less than a
few thousand bucks an hour (i'm exaggerating, but not by much)

rudy.limeback
r937.com
evolt.org