[thelist] .gif text + a TIP

Peggy Daniels pegdaniels at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 6 21:03:58 CDT 2000

>When people bag GIF text, they're referring to using GIFs to replace body
>content (not so much logos, navigation, etc).

That's what I thought, but since it's been one of those days where I start
doubting everything I thought I knew... thanks for the feedback.

<tip type="design inspiration">
If you are stuck for design ideas, and you have access to a good flatbed
scanner, try this:  Walk around your home or office, inside or outside, and
collect any items that interest you.  Don't think about it, just pick up the
first things that grab your attention (asking permission if it's something
from a coworker's desk :) And make sure all the items are 3D and not just
photos or pieces of paper.  Fabric works well, bunched up on the scanner
bed, as does anything with an interesting texture or shape (oranges,
jewelry, your cat...).  Scan these things, singly or in arrangements, and
see how they come out.  Manipulate the images, changing the colors, making
them greyscale, or using some filter or effect... one thing will lead to
another, guaranteed.  (One of my favorite background images started by
scanning the side of a hammered brass briefcase.)  Besides giving you some
potentially great images to work with, this is easy and fun and it's a good
break from coding.
</tip>

Peggy Daniels
Web Designer, Aston IT Group North America
pkd at astonit-us.com  pegdaniels at hotmail.com