[thelist] .gif text

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 7 09:40:49 CDT 2000

> From: "kev.skindrill" <kev.skindrill at bigfoot.com>
>
> This may come from my naivety about web stuff, but I don't see why it
> isn't possible to upload a font with your page so that you are not
> restricted to the "web Friendly" fonts. Would this method really be
> any different to uploading an image? You could just have the font in
> its own file with a bit of HTML to guide the browser in the right
> direction, e.g.

because no font vendor wants their fonts given away, and no font
licensing (except free fonts) allows for that... and yes, you can
upload a free font, but if i had a chance to kill the download, i
certainly would... *i* know what i can read online, and the integrity
of your identity is my last concern... i already have seen enough
sites use Comic Sans that i removed it from my system...

but getting around the whole licensing issue, that's where
embedded font technology has come from... it's been around for 3
years now (or so), but do you see wide support?  and how many
sites actually use it?

down the road, as they perfect the font embedding technologies,
you'll see more of it, but then we need to get more universal fonts
(not just a version of Arial for Mac and PC, but a version where the
file runs on both, and leading, kerning, etc, are all the same for
everyone)... MS and Adobe have done a good deal of work on that...

> After all, when you submit a job on disk to a printer all the fonts
> must be included otherwise it can't be output correctly. Is this a
> good idea or am I just (heaven forbid!) wishing for an easy life :)

ahhh... but the web isn't print... can't use a print analogy and
expect it to work...