[thelist] PHP vs ASP

Eric Engelmann eric at geonetric.com
Fri Jul 7 10:02:12 CDT 2000

Excellent question.

ASP:
----
PROS:
* You or your clients may be more comfortable with Microsoft/corporate
support
* Powerful, flexible capabilities, especially with databases
* Take advantage of existing Visual Basic or C++ knowledge
* Multiple scripting languages (VBS,JScript, others)
* Free w/ NT
* Uses compiled components (VB, C++, etc) easily

CONS:
* You or your clients may be less comfortable with Microsoft products
* Not open source
* Some consider ASP/MS to be flawed in terms of security processes
* Proprietary in that you have no access to the source code
* Restricted primarily to Windows NT/2000 for server platform (except for
chilisoft and halcyon-type interpreters)

PHP:
----
PROS:
* Open Source model gives access to anything and everything
* Easy scripting language to learn
* Powerful, flexible language
* Free to everyone
* Runs on many platforms, including NT/2000
* Open source-style support model

CONS:
* You or your clients may be less comfortable with open source products
(Marketing types often don't trust the concept)
* No "official" paid support options b/c its open source
* PHP is very popular, but newer than ASP. VB developers are, in my
experience, easier to find than experienced PHP developers.

Personally, I like ASP, but we use both, depending on client needs. The
biggest question for us: the client's current platform. If they're already
on *nix, then PHP. If NT, or their marketing types hesitate, its ASP.

Regards,

Eric Engelmann
Geonetric Technologies / 319.221.1667 / www.geonetric.com