[thelist] Re: Netscape Frame Column Sizes (JS Solution)

Annie Phelan aphelan at norlink.net
Fri Jul 7 13:17:42 CDT 2000

Simon
            Netscape and IE interpret margins/pixels a little bit differently.
It's never enough to notice, unless you're doing something absolute. Whether
or not it's the best way to do things, I usually just end up creating two
seperate FRAMESET definitions depending on the browsers, and using javascript
to write the appropriate one, like this:

<HEAD>
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
var browserName = navigator.appName;
browserVer = parseInt ( navigator.appVersion );
name = "0";

if ( browserName == "Netscape" && browserVer >= 4 ) name="1";
if ( browserName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer" && browserVer >=4 )
name="2";

if (name == "1") document.write("<FRAMESET></FRAMESET>");
   else
    if (name == "2"){
     document.write("<FRAMESET></FRAMESET>");

 }

// -->
</script>
</HEAD>

The only thing is, make sure you don't use quotes in the attributes (like
COLS="*,*") or you'll get a syntax error :)

l8r

Annie

<snip>

> Ok, frames. Why are Netscape frameset sizes slightly smaller than IE. For
> example......The size of the frame is crucial for the contents to display
> correctly. In
> IE, no problem, in Netscape, the 150 frame is smaller than 150 pixels!
> Anyone have any ideas?

</snip>