[thelist] selective cookie acceptance

Shoshannah Forbes xslf at xslf.com
Sat Jul 8 06:36:54 CDT 2000

I setup my IE5 security zones with custom
settings, where:

* internet zone- accepts per-session cookies, ask any for any other type
* trusted sites- accept all cookies
* restricted sites- decline all cookies

Now I went and added a long list to ad sites and other sites that I do not
wish to get cookies from to the restricted sites zone.
Sites I trust and use cookies to keep customization in I added to the
trusted sites zone.

Everything else I decide on a case by case basis.  (sites that give me 4+
cookies per page tend to go to the restricted sites zone very quickly...)

I also go and clean my cookies file everyone once in a while, adding sites
to zones etc.

I admit that this was not my original idea, but it works very well for me
:-)

A nice tutorial to get you started (and where I got the idea from) can be
found here:
http://grc.com/cb-faq.htm#privacy-auto

another part in that FAQ:
http://grc.com/cb-faq.htm#todo
where they have been working about creating another, separate, security zone
in IE5. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I heard very good things about
it.

(The rest of the site is worth a read too)
Hope this helps
---
Shoshannah Forbes  http://www.forbes.co.il
Moderator, Site builder forum, nana
http://forums.nana.co.il/forum.asp?id=17
My Backflip folders- the best sites on the 'net
http://www.backflip.com/members/xslf