[thelist] cgi question

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 8 10:36:13 CDT 2000

showing an error page and making the user hit the 'back' button is bad form...

instead, if there is an error, you should re-draw the form page and highlight the fields with
error... that way the user knows what to fix by looking for highlighted fields, and can continue
on to the next page...

for example (lo-budget e-commerce site):
http://herdaboutbuffalo.com/merchandise/default.asp

- add something to your cart (don't worry, it doesn't ask for cc info until the end, and you aren't
going that far)...
- hit the 'next page' button...
- now try to submit the 'Billing Information' page with blank fields...

see what i mean?

the way you describe that you are doing it is very user-unfriendly... never make the user do
any more than they have to, and they shouldn't have to hit a 'back' button and hunt for fields to
correct...

no, i didn't check the site, but as a tip, did you include all your HTML4.01 form accessibility
features?