[thelist] Cropping images rather thn "squishing" them

Greg Strange gstrange at e-tsi.com
Sat Jul 8 17:19:45 CDT 2000

on 7/8/00 3:56 PM, elkay at lwkraemer at earthlink.net wrote:

> Greg,
>
> You are NOT cropping the image. You are resizing it. Browsers don't know how
> to crop images (short of using script to clip them). You'll want to use your
> graphics application to resize your images before you include them in your
> site.

Well, this is a case of getting frustrated with layout and getting worried
about impending deadline and generally flipping out because I thought about
how much time it was going to take to crop everything in Photoshop.

I am trying to do a bunch of thumbnails for a storyboard.  Some pictures are
oriented landscape and others portrait.  I wanted to just shrink the
landscape ones a little to fit onto the page.  I had remembered someone on
the list talking about how height tags were not a good idea and after
someone pointed out that tip for images, I realised that the caveat was said
in reference to tables.  Of course, this seems so ridiculously obvious now.

I had looked at doing layers in the browser to cover part of the pics but
quickly realised I was going to spend a lot of time on something that was
going to be hit-or-miss t best.

I apologise for taking up everyone's time.

Greg Strange