[thelist] As an infrequent poster

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Mon Jul 10 00:21:26 CDT 2000

At 03:19 9/07/00 -0400, you wrote:

>destruct is beyond me. You're probably asking yourself "well why the hell
>did he use a #%*@ em-dash?" - well when one does a lot of print work and
>uses a Mac one uses the extended ascii characters subconsciously -
>especially when they are a quick and intuitive  2-key combination (unlike
>the PC where one has to play a Bach fugue on their keyboard)  ;)

You should avoid extended ascii on the internet anyway. I didn't see no
em-dash.  I saw an anonymous black box, the same way most windows users
will see most extended characters.

There's also the fact that extended ascii isn't AFAIK in the spec for plain
text email.  Same reason why extended ascii in HTML is a no-no (should
always use character references instead).

Yay, this thread somehow got back to web dev! ;)

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz