[thelist] Whatever Happened to Fast Loading Pages?

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 10 14:36:23 CDT 2000

i can tell you what happened...

after coding dual sites (images/no-images ; framed/non-framed ;
flashed/non-flashed ; Java'd/non-Java'd ; etc.) for so long, people
realized it really sucked...

many people found that with later versions of HTML, they could, in
fact, code dual-purpose pages... no longer was it necessary to
maintain two versions of a site... with good coding practices (WAI,
HTML-spec, good sense, etc.) your site could be universal...

the only problem is, almost nobody does it in practice...  and the
younger developers don't know how it used to be, and don't
remember days of text-only versions (i have met these people)...

but when i wanna surf *fast*, i do a couple things:
- fire up Lynx...
- fire up NN2.02 with images and JS turned off...
- surf like normal with images and JS turned off...

> From: "Villano, Paul" <VillanoP at usachcs-emh1.army.mil>

[snip]
> are taking even longer...much, much longer to load.  I've searched in
> vain on every one for a TEXT ONLY page...to no avail.  "Where are the
> links of yesteryear?"  Didn't we all agree when we were sitting on the
[snip]