[thelist] Javascript read from file challenge

Greg Strange gstrange at e-tsi.com
Mon Jul 10 17:07:20 CDT 2000

Afternoon,

I have a client who wants to add people's names to a list of clients. They
get one or two clients a week.  I wanted to give them a way of adding
client's names to a list in an HTML page without touching the page itself
(so that they didn't mess up the code, etc.)  My idea was originally to make
a short Javascript that populated an array from a file (on the web server)
with the names in it.  I was having trouble with it and then found a better
idea.

However, I am still wondering how I would get Javascript to read a file from
the web server, and then populate an array with the data from that file for
use later in the script.  Anyone have any ideas or is this even possible
given JavaScript's built-in security features?

Thanks.

Greg Strange