[thelist] Winstability - best version for webdev

Lauri Väin optima at hot.ee
Tue Jul 11 17:51:53 CDT 2000

Hello Oliver,

> my experience has been roughly (not necessarily on this box):
>   win 95:  4-5 or more crashes per day
>   win 98:  1-2 crashes per day
>   win NT:  stable for many days
>   2000:  i've not used it.

If you have 4-5 crashes per day with win95, you're lucky (I've been
lucky so far too, at least as lucky as you, if not luckyier). However a
friend of mine is not that lucky. His computer crashes 20-50 times a
day. It's actually quite funny to watch (in case this happens to your
best friend of course, not yourself). A restart in every 20 minutes, I
laughed my ass off while he made restarts.

Then one day he installed RedHat Linux 6.02. He hasn't had a single
crash ever since. Linux doesn't eat up your resources or anything. It's
perfect. The downside is that now he watches as I reboot my win98 and
laughs his ass of.

Of course if you only want/can choose between windowses then I'd
probably go for winNT, it's quite stable. The downside is that it eats
up a lot of resources that may speed up your work. I can't say anything
about win2000 as I haven't used it.

Best wishes,
Lauri Väin
--
Lauri Väin
Your own .com .net .org domain name is the best