[thelist] Seeing IP addresses: Used to be: CoffeeCup Free HTM L

James Spahr james at designframe.com
Thu Jul 13 13:54:23 CDT 2000

on 7/13/00 2:11 PM, Villano, Paul at VillanoP at usachcs-emh1.army.mil wrote:

> I didn't mean to start all this controversy over the IP address thing.  My
> original point (other than the one on my head, apparently) was that it
> seemed strange to me to have the IP address and host name connected to your
> name, address, credit card number, home phone number, and other information
> while ordering "to prevent fraud."

It makes perfect sense to me.

Say you see a purchase on your credit card statement for Coffee Cup - and
you know you didn't buy it. The website can now lookup what the IP address
was when the order was placed, and hopefully link it to an ISP, who will
then let you know whose was using the ip address ...

Now if we didn't have the ip address recorded, there would be little hope of
finding the person who used your credit card.

James.