[thelist] Form/SQL Logic

Palyne Gaenir palyne at sciencehorizon.com
Thu Jul 13 17:11:07 CDT 2000

Hello fellow Evoltians,

I have a serious "how will I DO this?!" logic problem I'm hoping some
of the monsterbrains on this list can help me with.

(I confess, sometimes I read messages here and it goes flying over my
head, out the door and crashes into the hall closet.  I know this
should inspire me, rather than making me feel like creeping algae.
What it mostly does is make me glad some of these people will deign
to talk to me, despite that both my brain cells are usually busy
counting each other... so I have to bring my problems here.)

I have a number of systems ready to build that rely on a certain
logic my fragile brain thinks will work, but I don't know HOW to do
it in The Real World(tm).  To summarize (for once ;-)):

-----

I want to make a multi-line sort of box (via cfml) in my html form,
that CFLOOPS/CFOUTPUTS a list of column values into it, and this box,
instead of selecting, allows the user to "order" the items.  I want
people to be able to "arrange" the items in it -- JUST like you would
toolbar options in most programs, for example, where you can click on
an item and then click an "up" or "down" button to arrange them.

---

I have an app which defines a "unit" (a book chapter), and there are
multiple pages "assigned" to the unit.  Then I have the page app, and
there are tons of "element" records (from all kinds of tables)
assigned to the page.  I want to be able to show a little list of all
the elements assigned to that page, and have a person "arrange" them
in the order they should be in, and then have a submit send a numeric
sequence (in a hidden field?) to the datatable, so the RANK field
would have integers (say, 1-30).

Then on the query that actually displays the page, what it'll be
doing is for each record, it'll be CFINCLUDEing the template that
displays that little element (piece of page) and passing it the
needed values, and stringing them together in order by their RANK.
So say one page has a paragraph, then a java applet, then a list,
then an image, these are all separate 'elements', and the author of
that page wants to move the java applet to below the list -- I want
it to be easy and obvious to do this.

I'm thinking maybe I need some kind of java applet for this?  I can
pay someone to develop such, if nothing else is available and someone
knows how.  Or is there actually some kind of html/dhtml/javascript
code that would do such a thing??

P.S.  If it had the OTHER functions those toolbar-forms do, such as
adding/removing from one 'master' list to a 'selection' list and THEN
arranging, that would be way cool.  But the ordering is really the
big deal and the more important part.

Best regards,
Palyne