[thelist] Link Counter (not page counter)

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Thu Jul 13 19:33:59 CDT 2000

ChezDawn at aol.com wrote:

> Hello - new to the list and could use some help.  Does anyone know a good way
> to track link "hits". (line of html code, cgi, javascript??)  I understand
> how to get page hits but I link to external sites off our intranet site and
> would like to be able to track if our employees are accessing these sites
> without having the site link to a page that counts the hit and then they
> click to the external link.  I am really new to this, and appreciate all

If you are trying to find a way to capture the times that someone types in
"www.yahoo.com" into their browser versus the times they use the link provided on one
of the intranet pages - you can not without a proxy server.

And if you are counting the referrals as an employee I would be avoiding your
'portal' like the plague.

--
Anthony Baratta
President