[thelist] urgent advice/help please

H. G. Quinn hgquinn at attglobal.net
Fri Jul 14 13:29:46 CDT 2000

If you're on Win 98, you will be able to override the system's "typing" of the
CD by clicking on "My Computer", finding the CD drive, mousing over it and
right-clicking, then clicking on Explore, which will launch Windows Explorer.
Alternatively, you can just click on Start, then Programs, then Windows
Explorer, then find the CD drive, and click on it to open it the same way.

Windows Explorer is "nonjudgmental" in the way it handles files, allowing you to
view things that Windows would otherwise like to run.

Even if by some horrible mischance, the CD was overwritten with real audio
files, you will be able to see each file instance, and open it with whatever
tool you think is appropriate.

Neroli wrote:

> Hi all you clever people.
> I have an off list question I hope someone can help me with please.
> I have a CD of data which now shows up as audio and I am unable
> to retrieve the data which is very important and has been requested by our
> police regarding an online stalker who has threatened my family, friends and
> myself.
> The offender has copied hundreds of my sites writing abuse and threats on
> them placing them online in her own name.
> Death threats, threats she has hacked my hard drive, abusive emails etc and
> the list goes on.
> Our Australian Police are now acting on this (after three years!) and now I
> need this information on this CD and it can not be read.
>
> Is there some way I can retrieve this information or is it lost forever?
>
> Any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.
> Thanking you.
> Regards
> Neroli

Cheers,