[thelist] javascript and SSI

Jamie Madden jamie at bayou.com
Fri Jul 14 13:32:19 CDT 2000

I'm trying to include a small piece of text using SSI but I want it's
inclusion to be dependant on a browser detect.  In simpler terms,  I want
to detect whether or not the viewer is using a 3.x browser or a 4.x browser
and then include the file only if the browser version is 4.0 or
above.  Here is what I've come up with but it doesn't work:

IN THE HEAD
<!--  to hide script contents from old browsers
var bName = (navigator.appName);
var bVer = parseFloat(navigator.appVersion);
         if (bVer >= "4" )
	var go = "<!--#include virtual='/include/myway.txt'-->";

         if ((bName == "Microsoft Internet Explorer") &&
(bVer >= "4" ))
	var go = "<!--#include virtual='/include/myway.txt'-->";

         if (bVer < "4")
	var go = "";

// end hiding contents from old browsers  -->

IN THE BODY
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
	document.write(go);
-->
</SCRIPT>

If I replace the "<!--#include virtual='/include/myway.txt'-->" with
"Jamie"  it will write Jamie to the screen but it will not write the
include.  I suspect that I'm going about this entirely incorrectly.  Can
someone help?

jamie