[thelist] You are being Screwed Again!! - the head lemurspeaks out

the head lemur lemurs at extremezone.com
Sun Jul 16 21:31:54 CDT 2000

> We should publish stuff.  The Grammar Police may be annoying, but
> they are rarely dangerous.

r u shure?

> Also, grammar & typos are something that we can help each other with.
> I'll proofread your stuff if you proofread mine.  Like that.
> I like the bit: building webpages is easy / building webpages is hard.

> I agree with aardvark that governments are not likely to comply with
> Section 508 until forced. (yes, link it.)  this is done...not up, but
done.

As an aside to that issue and g'vmnt in general, sometime ago i posted
somewhere that some of the particiants and product mfgs. weren't ready and
wanted to push the Aug 7th date back. they got their way....

they buried it in a military appropriations bill.

"Congress has passed and sent to the President a bill (HR 4425, Section
2405) that would defer the effective date for enforcement of Section 508. As
originally enacted in 1998, the provisions of Section 508 relating to
enforcement were to go into effect on August 7, 2000. The new amendment
changes the effective date to six months after the Access Board publishes
its final standards under Section 508."
http://www.section508.gov/updateinfo.html

>I am really disappointed
> with the current lack of support in State Government sites & don't
> expect more from Fed sites.

508 deals only with Fed websites. state sites will follow soon esp. as they
receive federal funds for head counting, what did you this month reporting,
etc.

> Regarding Opera vs Lynx as a "major browser"  -- maybe you meant to
> say "graphical browser."
 No. I may imply it but I didn't feel by opening that door by pointing to
the icab, lynx or amaya browsers, which would add additional layers to
complexity to an otherwise, (at least to Me)  simple issue.

> The rest I just thank you for writing.  I have also made the choice
> to code to W3C standards (now that I've figured out how...).  The
> question is: who is in charge of your life  --- YOU or MICROSOFT?
> Are you free or are you an MS (or AOL, or whatever) slave?
>
> Oh, and Alan.  Get a Mac.  You know you want to.

funny...zeldman says the same thing.

but consider, if i left the windows world, feeding my three machines, the
network support on another roughly 400 machines on 10 networks, spending
this coming week uninstalling windows 2000 to stop operating systems from
crashing on machines running win 95, 98, and strange accounting packages
that require more memory on the workstations than the servers, western
civilization would be in danger of collapse.

yep a mac sounds like a good idea.

> <tip type="grammar" author="erika">
>
> its = possessive
> it's = it is (contraction)
>
> </tip>

thx for the tip...not a lot of help though, as i slept through my english
classes...

alan herrell - the head lemur
news http://www.lemurzone.com/news/
opinion http://www.lemurzone.com/edit/editorial.htm