[thelist] re:site price help

Oliver Lineham oliver at lineham.co.nz
Mon Jul 17 22:17:32 CDT 2000

At 19:23 17/07/00 -0700, you wrote:

>Can someone explain to me why members of the web community do not want to
>discuss the prices that they charge for their skills? I have noticed on
>numerous occassions when anyone posts a question about a price including
>myself that the response is often nil or one suggestion that is so airy
>fairy it doesn't answer the question anyway.

two big reasons.

1.  It's kinda illegal  -  not that I think discussion on thelist about
pricing would land anyone in trouble.  Competitors discussing prices is
seen as anticompetitive behaviour, and is illegal in the US, New Zealand,
Australia, Britain (I think?) and probably throughout europe.   Basically
if we are all talking about our prices, the market price might be held
artificially high - not good for the customer!

2.  It's kinda sensitive.  The same reason why store owners don't blatently
walk into each other's shops with a clipboard noting down the
prices.  (They do spy, but do it secretly).  If you are vying for the same
customers as I, and you know what I am charging, you can undercut
me.  Which means I might have to lower my prices, and earn less money than
I might otherwise - not good for me!

Of course, I'm in New Zealand.  I know of only a couple of other people
reading this who are even in the same country.  But overseas, I imagine the
concern would be greater.

</ol>

     v i b e   m e d i a    http://www.vibe.co.nz/
  po box 10-492              wellington, new zealand
  phone +64 21 210-7845         oliver at lineham.co.nz