[thelist] re:site price help

Greg Strange gstrange at e-tsi.com
Tue Jul 18 09:46:20 CDT 2000

on 7/17/00 11:56 PM, the head lemur at lemurs at extremezone.com wrote:

> the long US version
> http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/foia/divisionmanual/ch2.htm
>

>From your own link:

§ 1 Sherman Act, 15 U.S.C. § 1
Trusts, etc., in restraint of trade illegal; penalty

Every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or
conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or
with foreign nations, is declared to be illegal. Every person who shall make
any contract or engage in any combination or conspiracy hereby declared to
be illegal shall be deemed guilty of a felony, and, on conviction thereof,
shall be punished by fine not exceeding $10,000,000 if a corporation, or, if
any other person, $350,000, or by imprisonment not exceeding three years, or
by both said punishments, in the discretion of the court.

I want to bring your attention to the phrase "in restraint of trade or
commerce among the several States."  Exactly how would our discussion do
this?  How does our discussion cause a restraint of trade?  I'm sorry I just
don't see it.  I watch as much Law and Order as anyone else.  ;O)  If I were
asking you what do you charge to undercut your competition, that's one thing
(and still slight) but if I ask what is a fair price, how does that stop
anyone else on this list from going out and getting out a better (or worse)
price?  It doesn't, frankly.

Greg Strange