[thelist] re: starting a website

Lisa Bartholomew lisabee_150 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 18 23:18:35 CDT 2000

"Another issue may be to what extent a person in Bangkok can or should
be competitive with a person in the US.  The cost of living is
sky-high in New York City.  So is it right that someone in Bangkok
should be charging the same rate as someone living in NYC?  On the
other hand, should American web designers lose their business because
someone in Thailand might work so much cheaper? "

I totally agree with you, but as a foreigner living here cost of rent etc is
quite high if you don't want to live in a tin shack! and then you have
airfares back to the Uk to see family to consider etc. Ok eating out etc is
cheaper but you have to consider what standard of lifestyle you wish to
have. My point is forget the demographics i didn't want to look like a total
idiot by charging a New York Investment bank a stupid low price. Sometimes a
low price can work against you especially if everyone elses is much much
higher, they may think you are not up to the job that's why you are so
cheap. I just wanted to put in a reasonable quote to stand a chance of
getting the job.
Lisa