[thelist] RE: Razorfish retaliates - there's a reason for the cost

Vladimir Cole vcole at concretemedia.com
Wed Jul 19 13:54:38 CDT 2000

howdy from rainy nyc,

There seems to be a bit of Razorfish / hi-end iBuilder bashing going on
(below). I'm not here to defend a competitor, but to combat the idea that
hi-end site and business building is something worth no more than $50 an
hour. There's more than enough room in this industry for both types of work,
for freelancers and multi-office web consultancies.

To misunderstand why some sites cost $10 million and why some cost $10,000
is to misunderstand the depth of the technologies that we're all working
with. I know it's vogue to corporate-bash, especially in grassroots,
cowboy-culture communities where freelancers dominate the discussion, but we
knock Ralf's work it'd be great to see a more thoughtful discussion of why
it sucks (or doesn't suck).

Here's a start: what's with all of the child windows? Within 30 seconds of
hitting IAM.com's home page (admittedly, I've got a fast connection) I had
four different windows open to different parts of the site. Citing boo.com
is so trite nowadays, but ...

And just to play devil's advocate to myself: nice colors + beautiful people
= pleasing to look at.

1)
> Razorfish says IAM still owes them $537,328.58, and have counter-sued.
> http://www.inside.com/story/Story_Cached/0,2770,6901_10,00.html

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

i did some submisson work for some folks for 50 clams the designer(s) a new
media company,  of the site charged them 1750 for the identical work...
(when you get the same report from the same software you use, you know it
was identical ;) their explanation was "we send pages until they bounce,
because it is a complex undertaking"

gee why didn't i think of that

mind you that i provided them with the meta tags so the engines had
something to find..... and wrote the text for the engines that index the
content.....

2)
For that kind of $$, must be one killer site.
Too bad I couldn't get into it.

<tip author="vladcole" type="personal password and account management/livin'
on the web">
Forget about all of these eWallets and proprietary password management tools
that you have to download, install and upgrade. Try building yourself a nice
spreadsheet to track them -- then encrypt the sucker heavily. Someday
someone will build an eWallet / persistent avatar technology that works...
</tip>