[thelist] Are Web designers a dying breed?

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Thu Jul 20 13:35:55 CDT 2000

> > So... if I follow this correctly, the general concensus is
> > that the day of
> > the 'general practitioner' is waning?  In other words... I am
>
> As a proud and very happily employed webmaster of old (jack
> of all trades,
> master of maybe a couple), I heartily say no. It's the whole
> 'all your eggs
> in one basket' thing.
>
> and that's all I have to say about that....
> sgd
> --
> think safely

And to link back to the print design thing, any good print designer has a
full understanding of the printing process and what this particular color
ink is going to do when it's overprinted on that particular color, and what
this print shop's presses will do with a tightly registered CMYK design and
what that print shop's presses will do blah blah blah...

They're not printers, but they have an intricate understanding of the
printing process. By the same token, a good web designer needs to at least
understand what happens when you put certain files in certain places on the
server and what the capabilities of the medium are, even if he/she can't or
won't be a sysadmin or network engineer