[thelist] WebCrypt 2000

martin burns martin at members.evolt.org
Fri Jul 21 09:11:24 CDT 2000

> Anyone ever try this?? Would seem interesting if only to prevent
> graphics
> from being used by other sites...
>

> WebCrypt 2000
> Protect your Web site by encrypting your HTML code. This utility
> allows you to keep your hyperlinks, JavaScript, and Web graphics
> secure. Guard against spammers who try to hack into your site to glean
> e-mail addresses from your HTML pages. This utility can also protect
> against link backs that eat up your site's bandwidth, and it lets you
> disable right-clicks on Web pages.
> http://www.pcworld.com/r/shw/1%2C2087%2C7344%2C00.html

If it can be seen by a browser, it can be taken, even if it is a bit tricky for Win/IE users. Either that it'll break usability  accessibility completely.

You might want to take a look at
http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=719
http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=421
for previous discussion on some of the techniques which attempt to do this.

Closest I've seen encoded all the HTML with JavaScript - only worked on JS browsers and took hellalong to download & render pages.

Any sample sites?

Cheers
Martin